Library shield from Opening, 1949
This shield celebrates the opening of the first council-run library in Wolverton. There had been a community-run library in one of the schools and a subscription library in the Science & Arts Institute previously. The shield was presented by Mr. W.H. Lee J.P who was the Chairman of Wolverton Urban District Council and carries the heraldic crest of Buckinghamshire. The Library was opened by Colonel F.W Watson M.C, T.D, D.C, C.A, J.P. The Library, run by Buckinghamshire County Council, opened in 122 Church Street – which was a substantial double fronted house. This was later extended at the back at the Cambridge Street elevation.