The Milton Keynes Project Slide Show 1970
This set of photographic slides were taken by the late Mr Ronald Sullivan and the late Mr Alan Sanders of Wolverton who were members of the Wolverton Cine & Slide Club. The set of 216 slides and the accompanying commentary was known as “The Milton Keynes Project”. In 1969/1970 it was decided that a photographic record of the towns and villages in the designated area of Milton Keynes should be started as soon as possible before the construction began.
Extent
216 photographic slides and 27 documents
Contributor
Mrs Edith Sullivan
Reference number
SFC/001
Storage location
SFC box in the Hut, Slide Boxes 1 and 2
Records in this Group
Construction of a supermarket with church behind
The new Merit supermarket, with the new Congregational Church in the background
A well serving allotments
A street of terraced houses in New Bradwell, built by the railway company
A view of the New Bradwell rooftops, looking north east.
The New Bradwell Windmill
Along with the nearby cottage, the New Bradwell Windmill dates back to 1685
The New Bradwell Windmill stands close to the Grand Union Canal
The New Bradwell County Infants School, originally opened as a Voluntary School in 1863
St James Church, built in about 1850
St James Church, door and arch. The 12th century chancel arch from St Peter’s, Stantonbury was installed here as an internal surround to the 19th century West doorway.
Metal helmet and carved stone head in St James Church.
The wooden bell turret of St James Church.
This is the final record (17th July 1909) in the Register of Marriages at St Peter’s Church, Stantonbury. The Register was formally closed on 24th Oct 1950 when it was noted that the church was in ruins.
When St James Church was built it was assumed that it took over all the parish responsibilities of the church of St Peter’s, Stantonbury. 434 marriages had taken place before it was discovered that it was not properly licensed for marriages.
“The Little Soldier” war memorial at New Bradwell. Unfortunately insufficient money was available for a full size statue.
Detail of “The Little Soldier” memorial, listing the names of the men of the parish of Bradwell who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.
Detail of “The Little Soldier” statue, carved of white marble but only 3 feet high.
A model of the original design of the war memorial, about 15 inches high.
The clock tower at Corner Pin, New Bradwell. A memorial to the 15 Bradwell men who died in the second world war, it was opened in 1962.
The steam train nicknamed Nobby Newport ran between Wolverton and Newport Pagnell until 1965.
After the Wolverton to Newport Pagnell line was closed the track was removed and the unused stations were demolished.
No Comments
Add a comment about this page