The Milton Keynes Project Slide Show 1970
This set of photographic slides were taken by the late Mr Ronald Sullivan and the late Mr Alan Sanders of Wolverton who were members of the Wolverton Cine & Slide Club. The set of 216 slides and the accompanying commentary was known as “The Milton Keynes Project”. In 1969/1970 it was decided that a photographic record of the towns and villages in the designated area of Milton Keynes should be started as soon as possible before the construction began.
Extent
216 photographic slides and 27 documents
Contributor
Mrs Edith Sullivan
Reference number
SFC/001
Storage location
SFC box in the Hut, Slide Boxes 1 and 2
Records in this Group
Longueville Court (formerly the Rectory and c.1840, The Vicarage House). Built in 1729 incorporating parts of the Elizabethan Manor House of 1584.
Outbuildings to the south of Longueville Court (formerly the Rectory and c.1840, The Vicarage House).
The Galleon public house in Old Wolverton. Formerly the Locomotive Inn, built in the 19th century to serve the canal wharf.
The Grand Union Canal is carried by an aqueduct over the River Great Ouse to the north of Wolverton.
The Iron Trunk aqueduct viewed from the banks of the River Great Ouse. The aqueduct was opened on 27th January 1811, and was a major engineering feat at the time.
Wolverton road sign on the Stratford Road. Warren Farm Cottage on the right.
A view of part of Wolverton Works sheds, Haversham and surrounding countryside taken from the top of The Gables. Wolverton railway station is in the mid distance on the right
Wolverton Railway Station entrance. Built in 1878 on the by-pass line and on the diverted Stratford Road, a timber building on blue brick arches.
Main line railway looking north towards Wolverton Station with the Railway Works sheds and sidings on the left.
A view of Wolverton looking north west from the top of The Gables.
The Gables on St George’s Way, Wolverton. Eleven storey block of flats built in the 1960s, replacing a large house called The Gables which was the home of the general managers of the Railway Works.
McCorquodale printing works on Stratford Road, Wolverton. Originally established in 1878 as printers to the Railway Company, later produced post office stationery and banknotes. The main building was of 1884 and further extended in 1905. Later demolished.
Market Halls on Creed Street, Wolverton, later used as town council offices and library.
The Wolverton Science and Arts Institute, erected for the railway company in 1861-64 and extended in 1880 and again in 1891. Originally called the New Mechanics Institute. Damaged by fire in 1970 and demolished shortly after.
The Wolverton Science and Arts Institute pictured after the fire in May 1970, after which it was demolished. Erected for the railway company in 1861-64 and extended in 1880 and again in 1891. Originally called the New Mechanics Institute.
The Wolverton Science and Arts Institute in process of demolition after a fire in 1970. Erected for the railway company in 1861-64 and extended in 1880 and again in 1891. Originally called the New Mechanics Institute.
The Wolverton Science and Arts Institute in process of demolition after a fire in 1970. Erected for the railway company in 1861-64 and extended in 1880 and again in 1891. Originally called the New Mechanics Institute.
The site of the Wolverton Science and Arts Institute following demolition after a fire in 1970. The Church of St George the Martyr is now visible from Church Street once more.
A view over the rooftops of Wolverton towards the Radcliffe School.
The Church of St George the Martyr. Anglican Parish Church of Wolverton Station. Built in 1843-44, altered in 1870 and extended in 1895-96. The cost was met by the Dr John Radcliffe Trust.
St George’s Church Hall is on the corner of Creed Street and Church Street, Wolverton. Built in about 1902 in the late Arts and Crafts tradition.
The Congregational Church, built in 1890 and last used on 5th April 1970. Looking south along The Square.
Demolition of the old Congregational Church
Demolition of the old Congregational Church
No Comments
Add a comment about this page