The Science and Art Institute
The Science and Art Institute was the second ‘mechanic’s institute’ in the United Kingdom. In 1840 the Mechanics Institute started without a permanent building until 1864 a dedicated building was available and provide its new name the Wolverton Science and Art Institute. The building was located on the corner of Church Street and St. Georges Way and it offered 12 classrooms, a library, an auditorium and a lecture theatre. Evening classes were also available here in a range of academic and practical disciplines. The building was destroyed by fire in the 1960s and is now a public car park.